About this Network
Inspired by the work of NYCORE, Teachers for Social Justice, NW Teachers for Social Justice, and more across the country, D.C. Area Educators For Social Justice is a new initiative launched by Teaching for Change to help build and nurture a network of social justice educators in the D.C. metro area.
There are many social justice educators in the D.C. area, and we are long overdue for a network to offer support, engagement, and learning opportunities.
D.C. Area Educators for Social Justice is a network of educators who seek to strengthen and deepen social justice teaching. We are community of mutual support for educators to collaborate on curriculum, professional learning, and activism. We challenge systems of oppression through anti-bias, anti-racist, and multicultural education. We work with students, families, and other educators in and outside of our classrooms to create a more just and equitable world.
These are the teacher advisers for the launch year (2017-2018) of the D.C. Area Educators for Social Justice. They were selected to represent pre-school to high school (with one teacher educator) and to include the voices of educators from D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. The advisers have met to set the direction for the network, they drafted the mission statement, and they will meet throughout the year to review plans and progress. Their time, leadership, and dedication are much appreciated.
School names are listed for informational purposes only.
- Gabrielle Arca, Sheridan School, Washington, D.C.
- Allison Bell, Gunston Middle School, Arlington, Virginia
- Wendy Bermudez, Claremont Immersion, Arlington, Virginia
- Michele Bollinger, Wilson HS, Washington, D.C.
- Raphael Bonhomme, Takoma EC, Washington, D.C.
- Monet Cooper, Capital City PCS, Washington, D.C.
- Zanso Dalili, Breakthrough Montessori PCS, Washington, D.C.
- Kevin Fox, Cardozo EC, Washington, D.C.
- Laura Fuchs, HD Woodson SHS, Washington, D.C.
- Julian Hipkins III, Roosevelt SHS, Washington, D.C.
- Megan Huber, Alice Deal MS, Washington, D.C.
- Taharee A. Jackson, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland
- Makai Kellogg, School for Friends, Washington, D.C.
- Celestina Lee, Harriet Tubman ES, Washington, D.C.
- Victoria Merriweather, Northwood High School, Silver Spring, Maryland
- Tiffany Mitchell, Kenmore Middle School, Arlington, Virginia
- Levita Mondie, Burgundy Farm Country Day School, Alexandria, Virginia
- Barrie Moorman, EL Haynes PCS, Washington, D.C.
- Debbie Polhemus, Wakefield HS, Arlington, VA
- Amy Rothschild, Capitol Hill Day School, Washington, D.C.
- Neha Singhal, John F. Kennedy HS, Silver Spring, Maryland
- Vicky Sosa-Kirkpatrick, White Oak MS, Montgomery County, Maryland
- Justin Sybenga, Capital City PCS, Washington, D.C.
- Kerry Sylvia, School Without Walls HS, Washington, D.C.
- Shayna Tivona, Thomson ES, Washington, D.C.
- Amy Trenkle, Alice Deal MS, Washington, D.C.
- Jill Weiler, Capital City PCS, Washington, D.C.